Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Learning the Election Game

Dear Readers,

Today I can vote in the Massachusetts primary elections.  Normally, I love to vote.  As Americans, we have the privilege of being allowed to vote, and it's our duty to elect the best possible people to run our government.  I don't understand why more people don't vote (though the fewer that do, the more powerful my vote becomes).  It doesn't take that long, and if you're like me, you feel an overwhelming sense of patriotic pride when you cast your ballot--yea, America!

However, today I feel a little bit odd because I don't know much about my new local political scene.  Heck, I just figured out where I can vote (not that my town had the information--I had to find the aptly named "Where Do I Vote MA" website).  Granted, this is not a big election year with many offices to vote for, but we do have a gubernatorial race.  With the exception of our current governor, Deval Patrick, whom I keep calling "Patrick Deval," I have no idea who's running.

I'm honestly feeling a little sheepish about this.  I should know who my elected officials are.  The Boy and I have talked about going to Town Council meetings.  We just haven't done anything about it yet.  Part of our disinterest is because we're still assimilating to the area; part of it is because I've taken to ignoring everything about political races.  I'm so tired of the way it's become a big competition--who has more money, who's in what party, and what the polls say this second.  It's almost bad enough to turn me off of voting.  I won't--but I now understand a little better why people don't care about politics anymore.  It'd be nice if the system could change, but I don't think it will anytime soon.  Sad, isn't it?

Anyway, I need to run and bone up on who's running for office.  If I'm electing someone, I might as well learn what I can before I vote.

Your pal,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment