Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Habitual Work

Dear Readers,

It's the middle of the day, and I'm still sitting in my own funk.  Didn't have time for a shower this morning--had to fit in a workout though (because yesterday it never happened).  I also had to get the recycling out because it's picked up every other week, and frankly, more than two weeks of newspaper piling up in our kitchen would be bad.

After my workout, it was time to go straight to work, because I had a client discussion this morning.  Granted, my office is eight feet away from the fitness studio portion of my gym, so I'm not offending anyone.  It's just that a few hours into work, I realize I really kind of stink. 

Such is the life of a freelancer--in case you ever wondered.  That whole "work in pajamas" concept is nice until it's noon, and you're still in pajamas, and you're starting to feel the grime build up.  For me, I start to get sloppy and acquire bad habits (I'm staring at the jar of peaches I polished off today--eaten straight from the jar, of course), and from there it feels like I'm on a slippery slope to schlubbiness. That's definitely not the polished, witty writer I want to be.

So it's time to shower out.  And it's time to make yet another resolution about showering before noon.  

Do you have any bad work habits you've acquired?

Your pal, 
Jill

3 comments:

  1. I admire your ability to get even SOME things done while working from home like that. The only reason I have an office job is because otherwise I would only ever get the "fun" things done.

    That is quite evident from the state of my house right now. But don't get me started on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been spending way too much time lately saying, "Oh, it's such a beautiful day out, and it's almost October, so there won't be many more, so I think I'll sit out on the deck and read a book instead of editing this piece." What I need is a good rainy crappy day to get some work done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my husband started working from home a lot at his last job his grandfather made me promise to make sure that he woke up early every morning, took a shower, got dressed, had breakfast, and basically prepared for the day as if he was going to work. He did it and taking that time in the morning gave him time during his lunch break to play video games rather than get dressed. I think when I have the privilege of making my own schedule I will have to do the same, except I'd probably spend my lunch break reading tabloids.

    ReplyDelete