Tuesday, May 17, 2011

No Means No

Dear Newspaper Carrier,

I believe we need to have a "come to Jesus" moment.  Look, I appreciate the job you do--all winter long, no matter how much snow we got, I received a newspaper everyday.  That was amazing.

Problem is, I'm still getting a paper everyday.  Even though I switched to Sundays only a few weeks ago.  I  did that for a couple of reasons:

  1. I need to save some money.
  2. I haven't been able to keep up with my newspaper reading.  
Reason number 2 is actually a little more troublesome.  I like reading the paper, and when I can't get through them, they start stacking up.  I mean, Bin Laden just got killed, according to the stack on my dining table.

Sure, I understand that when the pile gets too big, I can just dump it into the recycling bin.  When I get to a breaking point, that's what I do.  However, a part of my brain feels that when I do dump a stack a week's worth of paper without looking at any of it, I'm wasting money.  I don't like wasting money.

This past week I knew I wasn't going to have time to read the paper, so I called circulation to put a hold on it.  The man who helped me asked "how many Sundays" did I want to stop getting the paper.

Sundays?

Oh, yeah.  I stopped getting the daily paper.  Except that it keeps coming.

I told the circulation person that I was still getting the daily paper and to ask my carrier to stop delivering it.  I don't know if you didn't get the message to switch my subscription, or you think you're doing me a favor by giving me the paper everyday.  It's got to stop.  At this point I'm cheating the Globe by not paying for my paper.  Newspapers are still having a hard go of it, so I really don't want to cheat the Globe.  Please don't add a new layer of guilt onto my conscience.

I'm getting to the point where I want to fully cancel my subscription.  I can't deal with the paper showing up on a daily basis--at least for a few weeks, until my schedule clears up again and I have a little more time to read it.

You'll get one more chance though--I'm going to put one more vacation hold on.  If I keep getting the paper, then I'm going to have to cut you loose.

Thanks for your understanding.

Your pal,
Jill

p.s.--I still got my Sunday paper, the one I put on vacation.  What's up with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment