Monday, January 25, 2010

Yo-dilemma

Dear Tamara Duker,



Hope you're doing well.  I have a question about yogurt, and I looked for the answer on your blog but didn't find it (though really, I would've loved to try the lactose-free yogurt you wrote about).  

From time to time, I get on a little yogurt kick.  Last weekend I stayed in a hotel, and at the continental breakfast spread, I opted to eat some Activia yogurt.  Tasty!  I should eat more of this!

Then I day 2, I noticed that my 4 oz. cup contained 17g of sugar, and that felt like a lot. Especially when the ingredients were (according to the website):

CULTURED GRADE A NON FAT MILK, PEACH, INULIN, WATER, CONTAINS LESS THAN 1% OF FRUCTOSE, CORN STARCH, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, KOSHER GELATIN, NATURAL FLAVOR, ANNATTO EXTRACT AND CARROT JUICE CONCENTRATE (FOR COLOR), SODIUM CITRATE, MALIC ACID, SUCRALOSE


Am I right?  I mean, I feel like sugar or some form of sweetener is dumped into a lot of American processed food, and I'd like to get away from some of that.


This week I've been eating yogurt for breakfast every day, which I've really enjoyed.  I usually eat Kashi GoLean (fiber, baby!), but the yogurt is a nice change (calcium, baby!).  I've been trying a bunch of varieties--mainly various brands from Whole Foods, or Trader Joe's, selected by the sugar content.  Here's what I've tried:


Trader Joe's Greek-style: 5.3 oz., 11g sugar
Brown Cow All Natural Greek Yogurt: 5.3 oz, 17g sugar
Wallaby Organic: 6 oz., 19g sugar
Cultural Revolution Organic: 6 oz., 11g sugar
Better Whey of Life Protein Yogurt: 6 oz., 14g sugar
Cascade Fresh Fat Free Yogurt: 6 oz., 16g sugar


I have not tried the true Greek yogurts, mainly because they put too much of a crimp in my budget.  


I've also looked at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Private Label regular yogurts, which had way more sugar in them.  That scared me a bit.


So, my question--if you have some time--is, What's an acceptable sugar range for yogurt?  I understand it's going to have some sugar, but how much is too much?  And where should that sweetness come from?  I see all sorts of ingredients--from fruit juice concentrate to natural cane sugar to fructose.  What should I try to avoid in choosing yogurt?




Thanks so much for your time....hope all is well in your corner of the world and with school.  The Boy and I are moving to Boston in a couple of months--he got a job with a small consulting firm out there.  Good times.


Take care,
Your pal,
Jill

3 comments:

  1. I'm currently obsessed with Greek yogurt. I agree that the price is high but I just give myself a smaller serving because I make it "a treat" instead of a meal. The sugar level is much lower and so are the calories but my main focus is that it's much better tasting than regular yogurt.
    When I make a Costco run then "Fage" brand is not too pricy (8oz serving - 300 cal and 7 g of sugar)and is my favorite yogurt. When I buy at the grocery story then I get "The Greek Gods" which lists a serving size as 4oz at 130 cals and 5g of sugar (I probably dole out 6oz). BUT what makes it so delicious is that I add silvered almonds and put on Agava. WOW. Delicious!
    Currently, I'm partial to Amaretto flavored Agava. Have you tried Agava? Check it out. It's sweeter and less viscous than honey (so you use less) and has a lower glycemic index than honey.
    If you can't find any in Chi-town - I'll mail you some.
    OK, so now I've spiked the sugar level up to as many as 15 additional grams but at least it's a purer level of sugar as opposed to the fructose that is in the regular plain yogurts and it tastes so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Missy,

    I have not tried Agava, but my interest is totally peaked. I will look into this!

    Good idea about buying a bigger container and doling it out over a few servings. I may look into that as another option.

    I agree that the Greek yogurt does taste better. It definitely tastes different and is more tangy than American yogurt, but it's really growing on me!

    Oh, and not related, but I think you'd like this, since you're talking about adding stuff to stuff: Rose water added to white hot chocolate. Had it at a little cafe last week, and it was really good!

    Your pal,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I am interested in the Rose Water. I have to pace myself on how many hot chocolates spiked with almond syrup that I drink. I wonder if I could find Rose water in this burg? Wavin'

    ReplyDelete