Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ying and Yang

Dear Readers,

Well, the WFTDA Championships are over.  It was a fantastic weekend of officiating--I got to work with a great crew of officials and watch two other great crews officiate.  OK, really it was like I was on a Dream Team--the level of officiating was really high for every bout, and I was so proud to be a part of it.  You know what I'm talking about, right?  Being a part of an incredible weekend that you never want to end because just about every part of it was SO. FRICKIN. AWESOME!  Yeah, that's how it was.  I mean, nobody would notice this cool little "covering refs during the slow game" choreography that my penalty tracker and I magically came up with during a bout.  It worked fantastically, was beautiful, and totally geeked out my non-skating officiating self.  

It was just nice to be in my element--to know that I could do a good job and was doing a good job.  That I could opine for hours about best practices for non-skating positions and have everyone around me want to do the same.

I'll have to try to hold onto those feelings because I'm heading back down the slide of rejection into my writer's world.  This is a world I also love, but in which I usually don't feel so confident.  Take today, when I received another rejection.  It was actually a really nice rejection, but nonetheless, I felt a little sting, a little taste of inadequacy, a little feeling like I don't really know what I'm doing.  

However, I didn't become a good NSO by sitting on my butt and watching the action.  I only learned by doing.  I just have to keep that in mind when I'm writing.  It takes a lot of practice to write a decent piece, and you're going to have to get rejected a few times before you succeed.  I don't relish the thought, but I'm stuck with the way this world works.  

Sigh.

Your pal, 
Jill

P.S.--Thanks for sitting through yet another pep talk to myself.  Things have been slow, so I've felt the need to have a lot of them lately.

1 comment:

  1. OF COURSE you came up with choreography!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete