Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Catching Up/Falling Behind

Dear Readers,

 I realize I didn't post yesterday.  Sorry about that.  Since I was gone at the WFTDA Championships last week, I've actually fallen behind in a lot of the extra things I do.  Like blogging.  And NaNoWriMo.

How's that going?  Thanks for asking!  If you write recommended daily average (1,667 words) throughout the month, you should be at 28,334 words today.  I'm at 15,063.  Yep.  I'm a little off right now.

I was actually slightly ahead of average going into my trip to Chicago, but then I ended up not writing for eight days, and that's had me playing catch-up.  Yesterday I cranked out almost 3,000 words in the course of a few hours.  Today I hope to do the same (or more).  Hopefully I'll catch up to where I need to be to finish on time.  Right now, my little stats page tells me that at my pace, I'll finish by December 27, and that I need to write 2,688 words a day to finish on time.  That's a lot, but I think it can be done.

How's my story?  That I'm not so sure about.  I've had people ask me what it's about, and I've mumbled some incoherent thoughts about the germ of the idea I had, to which I got silence in return.  Yeah, not a good sign.  15,000 words in though, I'm getting to know my main character a bit, and I think she's pretty cool.  I enjoy hanging out with her.  What she's going to do, I don't know right now, but I think my germ of a story will fade away because whatever my main character is up to is definitely more interesting than what I came up with in the first place.   That happens.  It just means that editing and reshaping the story might be a pain in the neck, but that's all part of the process.  It'd be nice to actually have something that's  worth reading when it's all said and done.

I'll try to keep up with you too, but I'm just letting you know that this month, you might have to take a back seat here and there.  Stay with me though!

Your pal,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment