Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Counting Down

Dear Readers,

I don't often give up something for Lent, but this year I decided to participate--to see if I could jump start some healthier behavior and see if I could stick with a short-term project.

I've given up booze.  All of it--beer, wine, liquor.

It's not fun.

At first it wasn't too bad, but after a week, the Boy and I had a hard workout day.  Last week was the first time the Boy could really walk to and from the train station without wading through somebody's unshoveled walk, and in an attempt to get some exercise, I walk with him to the train station and then I meet him there at the end of the day.  This means I went from almost no movement to a minimum of 4 miles walking a day (it's a mile to the train station). On Thursday I also walked to and from my volunteer gig at the library, which is another 20 minute walk that involves a pretty steep hill on the way home.  Plus, the Boy and I did a run at the track near our field (which involves running home up that steep hill).

Needless to say, I was wiped out and really wanted a recovery beer.  Since then I've thought way more about booze than I normally do.  I'm not going through massive withdrawals or anything (thank goodness), but man, do I enjoy a good adult beverage!

The Boy is doing his best to help me out and is systematically drinking all the beer that's currently in our fridge.  You know, so I don't get tempted.  We're not cooking with wine, since that would mean opening a bottle and having to dump 2/3 of it because he won't drink the rest.  Thank goodness liquor is easily measured, which means I'll let myself cook with it (hello, bourbon pecan pie!).

Still, it's not an easy task, and I hope I'll manage to stay on track.  Should I succeed, there's a bottle of bubbly with my name on it, chilling in the fridge.

Do you give up anything--or do anything special for Lent?  Let me know!

Your pal,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment