Friday, June 4, 2010

This Trial's Not a Trial!

Dear Prospective Jurors in the Rod Blagojevich Trial,

Last year, I got a jury summons notice.  After my initial euphoria at finally being called for jury duty, I instantly realized that this also meant I wouldn't be called to serve on the trial of former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich.

Oh, how I wish I were you!  Yeah, I no longer live in Illinois, but to be able to serve on the Blago trial would be an amazing experience.  Who will take the stand?  Will Blago step up and speak?  If he did, wouldn't it be great to have a ringside seat?

I don't really understand why people grumble about jury duty and try to do everything in their power to get out of it.  I realize it's an inconvenience--most people who get called still have to try to do their regular work in their off-hours.  It doesn't pay well either.  But the experience of seeing our system of government at work is priceless.  Thanks to the Sixth Amendment of the US Constitution, our citizens have the right to a trial by an impartial jury.  What an honor it is to be chosen to help decide a trial outcome!

So, even though this trial is sure to be long--and maybe a little boring at times--just remember that you've been called to serve your country and help preserve democracy.  Besides, other people want to be you--isn't that bonus enough?

Your pal,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment