Friday, January 21, 2011

Checking Out to Checking In?

Dear Readers,

It's been a while -- whew!  And you might be wondering why it seems like I've checked out, but I can answer that in one word:  Shoveling.

Last week we had an official blizzard, which dumped a good foot of snow on our lawn.  It snowed again throughout the weekend, and then two days ago things were a little melty.  In a sense, that was kind of nice because there is literally nowhere to put anymore snow.   On the flip side, when it got colder yesterday, it started to freeze up (and where the water pools at the bottom of the driveway, it's not pleasant -- I shoveled water just to try to get it out of there). Today we're getting more snow.

All of this means that the Boy and I have become fanatical about the condition of the driveway and sidewalks.  This is an undertaking -- even though we don't have much in the way of sidewalks, our driveway is probably nearly 70 feet long (I just learned the dimensions of our building--I'm blown away by how long it is).  The other day it took me 1 1/2 hours to get through it all.  Luckily we've got a downstairs neighbor, so we don't have to do it all.  However, when everyone else is at work, I'm the one who's responsible for making sure the driveway's clear enough for the cars.

Shovel, salt, sweep, shovel some more.  Try to clear out a path to the garbage cans and recycling bins.  Shovel again.  Go buy some more salt.  Needless to say, our sidewalks and driveway are among the best on the block.

While my brain is pleased about this, my back is starting to get tired of the constant shoveling.  I'm nervous about what this new snow will be like.  Will it be nice and powdery (and light)?  Or wet and heavy (and hard on the body)?  And can I get to the spa for a nice soak anytime soon?

Only time will tell.  Anyway, I just wanted to check in.  I'm hoping that at some point I stop having snow on the brain!

Hope you're doing well--how's winter in your part of the world?
Your pal,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment