Friday, April 23, 2010

Petty Fraud

Dear Citibank,

When I answered the phone the other day and I heard the computerized "This is Citi Fraud" voice on the other end, I have to admit that I felt a wave of dread splash over me.  The Citi Voice has called me before, and that resulted in your team stopping a pretty big fraud (I think a computer purchase is big); however, I had to deal with all the hassle of closing a credit card account, getting credit reports, and changing a few automated charges.  Pain in the butt, no matter how you slice it.

I located my credit card (yes, I still had possession of it), and I waited with baited breath to hear the possible fraudulent charge.

"Did you charge $55.14 to a BOOKSTORE?" bellowed the Citi Voice.

Citi Voice called me over $55.14?  And seemed surprised that I'd been shopping at a bookstore?  Yeah, I know I've cut back on the bookstore visits, and I've been paying cash when I do buy books, but really.  It didn't make sense.

Oh, I know.  Maybe this got triggered because I'd just changed my address, and I've had problems swiping my card at some gas stations with newer pumps that will sometimes ask for the zip code, but I can't remember which zip code my card is under.  But even with my old address, no other charges triggered Citi Fraud?  Like maybe a $1000 down payment on a car?  But $55.14 at a bookstore did?

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining here--it's more funny than anything else.  Still, I'd love to know how fraud notices get triggered and how many fraud calls get dialed on a given day.  It's tough to keep on top of this crime, and you're doing the best you can.  Thanks for keeping an eye on my account--I do appreciate it.

Your pal,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment