Tuesday, July 5, 2011

There She Is--on the Podcast

Dear Readers,

This is a couple weeks old, but it's pretty cool.  I'm one of the "tens of listeners" to the TBTL podcast, which is basically 2-3 people (Luke Burbank, Jen "Flash" Andrews and Sean DeTore...Sean isn't there every day) talking about what's going on in the news/media.  It can get a little navel-gazing, but then, so can I. [and let's face, don't we really like people who are a lot like us?]

Anyhow, I was listening to one of their podcasts where they were discussing the outgoing Miss USA and mentioned that they didn't know the difference between Miss America and Miss USA.  This, of course, is nearly blasphemous to me, since as a child and teenager, my friends I would religiously watch Miss America (Miss USA is not nearly as exciting -- the talent competition makes the pageant).

I had to write in:


Hey Luke and Jen,

I'm a few days behind, but I felt the need to write to tell you the important differences between Miss USA and Miss America (especially since we're going to be blessed with a new Miss USA soon):

Miss USA
  • Owned by Donald Trump
  • Winner goes to Miss Universe
  • Pageant is based on "fitness" -- competitors have to do evening gown, swimsuit, and interview
  • Miss Teen USA is the little sister pageant of Miss USA (much like Barbie's little sister Skipper)
Miss America
  • Pageant is for SCHOLARSHIPS.  This is super-important!  Miss America gives out a bunch of money for scholarships, which, you know, legitimizes it.  
  • Contestants have to have a platform, and Miss America is expected to do events around her platform for the year (whereas apparently Miss USA's platform was a levitating bed by a pool in Vegas....or whatever Luke said)
  • Contestants compete in evening gown, bathing suit, and TALENT. This is also another HUGE difference--and that's when you learn that if you're beautiful but don't have any well-defined talent (concert pianist, deaf ballet dancer), you sing.
I realize this isn't life or death information, but I felt the need to set the record straight.  I'm no pageant girl, but I have a soft spot in my heart for them.  I mean, when you were in high school and couldn't yet drive, didn't you get together with your friends and eat junk food while watching Miss America?

Have a good weekend!
Jill

*****
Their response?

we read this on the show today
hope you enjoy
Jen

****
And by "read on the show," they meant "this was an entire segment."  Take a listen!

More audio at MyNorthwest.com

Your pal (aka the Educator),
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment