Monday, February 14, 2011

Your Not-So-Great Pal

Dear Readers,

Perhaps you're thinking, "What happened to my pal Jill?"  (Perhaps you're not.  That's OK too).  I honestly don't know where the time has gone....well, I think I have a couple of ideas:  Shoveling and roller derby.

We still have piles of snow outside, and it's still difficult for me to see around well enough to make turns at some intersections.  However, they're slowly melting (in fact, I think it's about time for me to chip some ice out of the driveway), and I hope that they'll be going away for good soon.  I hit the wall on winter this past week, and I'm ready to experience my first mud season in New England.

Roller derby's been my other major activity.  We are quickly coming upon our first bout, which is a doubleheader on the 26th:

Boston Massacre vs. Montreal New Skids on the Block
BDD Home Teams:  Nutcrackers vs. Cosmonaughties
This is going to be an awesome, awesome bout.  Montreal is a ton of fun to watch, and they've become a really competitive team (recently upset Rat City).  Boston is gunning to get back to the WFTDA Championships--by placing 4th in last year's regional tournament, they missed out.  This year they plan to be back.

My preparation for the bout has been a lot of training, organization, and stocking up.  We have a bunch of new officials, which is fantastic, not only because we have a lot of them, but also because they're excited, dedicated, and all around sharp.  They have a ton of great ideas and really want to improve our league and officiating team.  Every time I think about them, I get excited.

However, they all have to be trained, which takes time.  I've had to buy officiating supplies, which takes time.  I've had to try to get prepared for not only this first bout, but the entire season.  It's amazing how many details go into producing a roller derby bout.  My head spins just thinking about it.

I'm trying to generate new work too, which has been an ongoing learning process/ego bruiser.  Today I realized that I have to get back in the saddle and make something happen.  Nothing really just falls into your lap--it has to be right place/right time, and I have to get myself into those places.

Unfortunately, that means that the blog has taken a back seat, and I have to get myself back into the place of making this world a more sane/common sensical place.  It won't happen on its own--I need to do a little prodding.  If you've got any suggestions/have noticed some weird policies, let me know, and I'll look into it.  Or if you just want to let me know what you've been up to in the meantime, I'd love to hear it.

Your pal,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment